Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Notes on the Ravioli

In the last post, I included a recipe for ravioli. I noticed that I didn't say anything about what to stuff it with. As most of you know, I can't have dairy products, so I went with a chicken filling. I simply pan fried a couple of chicken tenders, added some salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and shaky cheese. ( For those of you that aren't familiar with the term "shaky cheese" it is Kraft parmesan that you get on the international foods aisle. It is a powdery substance that once, in a past life, vaguely resembled cheese.) I also added a little bit of chicken stock for moisture and to make it a little bit like a paste. I didn't have any eggs, so I was improvising.
I am planning on trying a pork filling for them, but it will have to wait until I get the okay from my doctor to stop being an invalid.....
I also wanted to mention that when you make the ravioli, since it is a really easy process, make some extra. Then put them on a plate, in a single layer, overnight to dry and freeze. Then just pop them into a zip top freezer bag and when you need a quick and easy dinner, you have home made ravioli waiting to go! Just cook them the same way you would fresh, it will just take another minute or two, due to the fact that they are frozen. That is what we had for dinner last night, and I must say they were fabulous!!! Just as good as fresh!
Last night I was watching Next Iron Chef, and one of the groups had to learn to make Chinese dumplings. When I get better, that is my next project, those looked so stinkin' good! Also, if anyone is looking for ideas for a Christmas present for me, I would love a steamer. For now, I think I can figure out how to rig one up. I will be sure to post pictures because I have a feeling it is bound to be interesting......

xoxoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment