Sunday, October 11, 2009

Quick Rolls and Ravioli





Ok, so I know that I said that I would post recipes as well as pictures and tips on my blog and I have yet to share any recipes. Today I am going to change that. Let's start with my Quick Rolls. I found this recipe in with some that I got from Gramma Jean. I was going through all the books, binders, and loose cards that I inherited and this one caught my eye, seeing as you don't usually see a recipe with yeast in it and the word quick in the title. So I decided to try it. This is a more or less fool-proof recipe, the only thing I don't recommend is rerolling the scraps and cutting more. They come out more like hockey pucks than rolls, so unless you have a hockey game later in the day and have yet to locate your puck, just toss the scraps. So without further ado...

Gramma Jean's Quick Rolls

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
2 yeast cakes (this is 2 1/2 tsp. I know that sounds like a lot, but I tried it with less and it didn't work.)
1 cup scalded milk
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. salt
6 cups flour
1 Stick melted butter, or margarine
Directions:
In a large bowl, (I use the bowl on my Kitchen Aid, seeing as everything ends up in there anyhow.) Let the yeast start to foam and activate in the warm water. while that is working, start scalding the milk in a saucepan over medium/low heat. Add the salt and sugar to the milk while it is heating, (I found that this helps it all dissolve and the flavor is more consistent throughout.) Once the milk is scalded, temper the eggs by cracking them into a large bowl and SLOWLY adding the milk and whisking continually, if you add the milk you will end up with exceptionally nice scrambled eggs. If this does happen, don't worry, it doesn't screw up the end result, I am just a stickler for culinary protocol.
Once you have the egg/milk mixture ready, add to the yeast in the bowl and attach the dough hook on your mixer and start mixing on low. Slowly add the flour about a cup at a time, depending on the weather you may need to add a little more flour to your dough. Once you have a smooth and elastic dough, it takes anywhere from 6 to 10 minutes with my Kitten, turn out dough on a floured counter.
Roll out your dough pretty much like you would a pie crust. Once it is to about 1/4 inch thick, use a pastry brush to spread the melted butter onto the dough. Fold the dough in half, and roll again to 1/4 inch. Spread with butter again, are you starting to see a pattern? Do this a total of 4 times.
Cut your dough with a round cutter, I have been known to use a glass, and place in pan. Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. When they come out, brush with butter and enjoy the yeasty layers of goodness!!

On Friday I was watching Food Network, shocking I know, and Giada made this really easy and fabulous looking ravioli. I thought 'I could do that' So I did. they turned out pretty tasty. Still needs a little work, but definately has potential to be fabulous. I will share the recipe now with the changes I think it needs and as I find out which ones did the trick I will be sure to post about it again, or if any of you have any fantabulous ideas please let me know.


Ravioli Pasta

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour (I think it only needs 2 cups as my pasta was dry, but it has been kind of cold and dry in the past few days and pasta is very tempermental depending on the weather. It isn't so much a recipe as it is a method.)
1 cup boiling water
Directions:
On the show, they brought the dough together in a bowl with a spoon and then her hands, I am not overly good at that so I would do it in the Mix Master with a dough hook. Once the dough comes together, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes to hydrate and develop some gluten.
Once the dough has rested, roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick. If you have a ravioli press, just go from here. If not, place about 1 tsp filling every 2 inches or so. fold the dough over the filling, and cut with a ravioli cutter.
Place in boiling salted water until they float, it should only take 3 to 5 minutes. I like to toss them with marinara sauce and mom likes mozzarella on hers.

I hope you all like these recipes!!!

xoxoxox





No comments:

Post a Comment